Wednesday, December 2, 2015

Dear Families in the Middle,

We hope you've enjoyed time with family, good food, and several moments of gratitude over the past week! One of the many opportunities for which I am grateful includes working with our middle level parent group. Last Monday evening's meeting included a terrific report of fundraising efforts (over $14,000) and positive planning ahead for practical alternatives to raise funds, make healthy choices, and support families in need. So thankful for the optimism, engagement, and compassion of our parents! Our Hudson Middle School Parent Group (HMSPG) Mission:

"The Hudson Middle School Parent Group (HMSPG) provides support and resources to the school and parents for the benefit and educational growth of our children. Through volunteer coordination, organized events, and effective fundraising, we seek to enhance learning, strengthen communication between home and school, and encourage and celebrate and every student’s experience."
Our HMSPG generates funds to enrich the learning experience for students in several ways: supporting Raider Pride events, field trips, and HMS Angel Fund. If you would like to contribute to the HMSPG please consider a monetary donation through Just Give.org by clicking here Donate Now.  Thank you so much!
Associate Principal, Mr. Hagerman suggested we initiate a Middle Level Ambassadors group of student leaders. What a terrific idea! Student Ambassadors would be responsible for welcoming guests and visitors to our learning community, helping substitutes find classrooms and resources, and assuring anyone new to our school is welcomed and supported. We're seeking positive, kind, and helpful students to serve in this role. Students interested in applying to serve as an HMS Ambassador can print and complete this application by Friday, December 11.

Each week, I'd like to feature a student whose communication and collaboration inspires me. Two weeks ago, I had the opportunity to observe a group of 8th grade students in Mrs. Conklin's Science class. They had completed an assessment and were preparing to teach each other concepts. When I asked a student about the value in this approach, I was impressed by his response.
"I have learned a lot more than I thought I would. While I am doing the questions, I don't really think about it, I just answer them. But, when I was told to teach other students, I ended up having to slow down and think a lot more about the problems. Because of this, I feel that I learned more from teaching. I think that it is also very helpful for the students that are being taught. I think that it's sometimes easier for students to learn from somebody the same age as them."
                                                                                                       -Eliot Hester; 8th Grade Nobles

Another impressive moment from Eliot was after the bell rang and students began heading to their next class. Eliot paused, turned to Mrs. Conklin and said, "Thank you, Mrs. Conklin." Thank YOU, Eliot, for your leadership and positive attitude!

Inspired,
Mrs. Ann Mitchell



1 comment:

  1. Ann - it has been a great joy and privilege to work with you as well! Thank you for your commitment to HMS students. I especially am grateful for your continued efforts in finding ways to positively empower students to become involved in their school and their learning.

    Laura Arthur
    HMSPG Co-Chair

    ReplyDelete